When films are produced, more footage is shot than is eventually used. In fact, often several endings (codas) are produced, and the best one is selected just prior to release.
This is your chance to change the coda of The Year My Voice Broke.
Your task is to produce a 500-700 word script for your alternate ending to the film. In the script you need to include:
Your piece must be prefaced by a 200-300 word written explanation, in which you advocate the inclusion of your alternate ending in the final cut of the film. In the preface, consider the following:
- Sound cues
- Stage direction
Also include, in addition to your script, a hand-drawn screen shot from your coda. Include a description and justification of the camera angle, shot composition and lighting cues.
Your script must be typed.
Word limits will be strictly enforced. Excess words will attract penalties.
Your piece will be assessed on:
- What should the end of this film do?
- What themes need to be resolved/addressed? How will you show this?
- What about each of the characters? Are they satisfied? Have they learned anything? How will you show this?
- Clear justification of choices, showing a thorough understanding of the film.
- Originality of ideas.
- Faithfulness of the coda to the rest of the movie.
- Clarity and fluency of expression.
- Accuracy and detail of hand-drawn screen shot.