Skip to Main Content

MHS Library | Academic writing

How to recognise dangling modifiers in your editing process

A modifier is supposed to come right before the word or phrase that it's modifying. When it doesn't do that, it's called a dangling modifier, and that causes confusion for your reader.

Listen to this Khan Academy video explaining this. You can also read the transcript, or even click in the part of the transcript to go directly to the selected part of the video so that you can see the sentence examples.

Check your understanding by doing the interactive quiz.