Recommended media websites
Follow on Twitter
- @_AFCA A professional association for film critics, reviewers & film journalists. We support mainstream, independent & Australian cinema & provide informed discussion.
- @GarryWestmore Freelance writer, educator at@ACMI_education, former film & arts editor of @spookmagazine, screenwriter.
- OzFlix TV is a video-on-demand streaming service featuring all-Australian content, founded by Ron Brown and Alan Finney.
- The Age Long Reads Browse our selection of long reads from The Age including recent features, lively comment and gems from the archive.
- Guardian Aus Culture Arts and ents news / views / reviews from @GuardianAus and wider@GuardianCulture world ... tweets (mostly) by @nancyarts. (Sydney)
- Dennis Lim Director of programming, @filmlinc; Author, David Lynch: The Man From Another Place (New Harvest, 2015)
- Filmme Fatales Zine A zine on the places where film and feminism intersect. Edited by@brodielancaster.
- The Melbourne Agency The Melbourne Agency houses Australia's best writers and podcasts. This Twitter account is a conversation starter by @samtwyfordmoore and@brigidmullane.
- One.Perfect.Shot For the love of film | Creator/Editor-in-chief: @TheGeoffTodd | Managing Editor: @Hperryhorton. (Portland,OR)
- ccpopculture Pop-culture website looking at film, TV and music in 200 words (and sometimes many more!). Editor - @dacrewe (Brisbane)
- UPROXX The premier news and culture platform for the digital generation.
- Joshua Oppenheimer Joshua Oppenheimer is a film director based in Copenhagen. Oppenheimer's films include The Act of Killing and The Look of Silence.
- The International Screenwiters' Association offers writers worldwide reliable informational resources. Membership is free! (L.A., California)
- Melbourne Doc Fest Melbourne's own competitive documentary film festival.
- Queensland Film Fest A new film festival showing only the best international cinema.
- The Conversation A+C The best of arts + culture from our AU, UK, US + Africa newsrooms. Researchers + journalists bringing informed expertise direct to the public.
- Last Film Shot 100 final frames of a film. From the mundane to the marvellous. Curated by @dialmformovies.
- Young Aus Skeptics Science, skepticism, critical thinking and pop culture - by young Australians, for everyone. Podcasts: http://youngausskeptics.com/podcasts
- JIFF The home of Israeli and Jewish themed films in Australia. Turning Jewish film on its head! #jiff15
- Marion Potts Director Theatre Australia Council for the Arts Melbourne, Australia
- Transitions Festival Film Festival +Forums of ground-breaking documentaries about our global culture in transition towards a sustainable future.
- tildemelbourne Melbourne's trans and gender diverse film festival.
- BOFA Film Festival The Tasmanian BOFA (Breath of Fresh Air) Film Fest celebrates fresh & innovative screen-based storytelling
- David O'Connell Film critic/buff/film score geek, avid devourer of fiction, follow sporting teams passionately (regularly crushed by their failures!)
- Michael Loebenstein CEO of the National Film and Sound Archive; previous life in Austria/Europe between film curatorship, writing and research.
- NFSA Online The National Film and Sound Archive of Australia -- developing, preserving and sharing the nation's audiovisual memory. Legal notices: http://bit.ly/1GFs6qW
- Axel Grigor Film Editor/Maker/Teacher. Svensk. Aussie. QLD Chair of @screeneditors. MVA Cand @QCAGriffith.
- manovich Cultural data analysis, media theory, digital humanities. Professor, The Graduate Center, CUNY.
- International Association of Sound and Audiovisual Archives International Association of Sound and Audiovisual Archives (IASA): for everyone preserving recorded sound and audiovisual documents.
Finding film reviews
Don't forget that newspapers and magazines often publish film reviews, including the Sydney Morning Herald, The Australian and The Guardian (UK). Find more newspapers through our databases.
There are other sources of film reviews online, including:
- ABC Arts
Film reviews, books and other arts content from ABC TV and radio.
- Sight and Sound magazine
Created by the British Film Institute.
- Australian Film Critics Association
- The Big Picture
- Internet Movie Script Database
Follow on Pinterest
- Yara C. Filmmaking, cinematography, screen writing, sound design and editing, visual effects,etc.
- The Smoke Filled Room Noir lighting
- Storytelling by Swagat Shetty
- Cinematography by Aaron Proctor
- Title/sequences by Andrew Blodgett
- Screenwriting Thoughts and tips about screenwriting by Etta Worthington
- Composition: light and shadow by Gillespie
- Screenwriting by Scott Squires
- Writing resources by Weiland
- Media production: Video by Jo Flack
- Film narrative by Jo Flack
- Filmmaking/techniques, screenwriting by Scott Squires