Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- For detailed guidelines, the APA style guide refers readers to The Bluebook: A uniform system of citation (19th ed, 2010), however this does not cover Austalian law and cases. Check with your faculty for any specific requirements. In Australia, a common resource to use is the following book: Melbourne University Law Review Association, & Melbourne Journal of International Law. (2010). Australian guide to legal citation. (3rd ed.). Melbourne, Australia: Melbourne University Law Review Association.
- Round brackets are used when the report series is organised by volume numbers, square brackets are used when the reports are organised by year rather than volume. Ensure that the brackets used in your citation match the type of brackets used in your source.
- In references to legislation, the year is in italics as it is considered to be part of the title of the Act.
- Secondary sources : if you do not read the actual case or Act, but only read about them in another source, only include the source in your reference list.
- Cases and leglslation retrieved electronically require the electronic source to be added to the reference. If the content of the document is likely to be updated include the retrieved date. if the URL address of the case or Act is too long or cumbersome it is sufficient to give the URL of the database from where they can be retrieved. Use the words 'available from' to clarify that you won't go directly to the documentment but it can be downloaded from there.
- Jurisdictions are abbreviated and in brackets e.g (Cth ) for Commonwealth, (Vic) for Victoria, (UK) for United Kingdom etc.
||Short Title of the Act (in italics) Year (in italics) (Jurisdiction abbreviation) subdivision, if relevant
Crimes Act 1958 (Vic)
Pharmacy and Poisons Act 1953 (UK)
Corporations Act 2001 (Cth). Available from http://www.austlii.edu.au/
||Case Name (in italics) year (in brackets) volume number reporter abbreviation starting page
Rogers v Whitaker (1992) 175 CLR 479
Chappel v Hart  HCA 55. Available from http://www.austlii.edu.au/