Big Data - General
- Everybody lies byCall Number: 302.231 STEISBN: 9781408894705Publication Date: 2017
- People lie but search data tell the truthHow online searches reveal the truth.
- SAS AnalyticsAn excellent site with case studies and general information
- Big data algorithms can discriminate and it's not clear what to do about it"The danger is that these algorithms, which are trained on data produced by people, may reflect the biases in that data, perpetuating structural racism and negative biases about minority groups." quotation from the article on "The Conversation"
- How we do FactChecks at The ConversationAn example of processes to review claims, check data and employ human review of claims.
Image taken from Imperial College website . http://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/173206/imperial-college-ahsc-seminar-series-kicks/
Retail (Advertising and Marketing)
Modelling world data (GAPMINDER)
Local government planning (ABS)
Detection of social issues (eg racism)
Education (PISA and NAPLAN results)
"Effect sizes" - John Hattie
"Reddit" is beautiful