Use EbscoHost for online articles and books.
Or browse the book version of this encyclopedia, The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, in the library.
How to find a resource in the library
If you have found a resource in the library catalogue that you want to find in the library:
- A non-fiction book will have a call number and will be located in the non-fiction shelves in the larger part of the library.
- a fiction book will have the first 4 letters of the author's surname and will be located in the front (entrance) part of the library.
Some books will be located in the Reference Section and can only be used in the library and not borrowed.
Some books have 'Stacks' as their location. Ask a librarian to find these books for you.
Which books can I borrow and where do I find them?
The music books on the non-fiction shelves are found in the 780s and can be borrowed for 3 weeks.
Check the catalogue to see if the book you want is available
Before you look for a resource, check to see if it is available.
It is available if it is 'on shelf'.
It is unavailable if it is 'on loan'.
Dewey Classification for Music
- 780 Music
- 781 General principles & musical forms
- 782 Vocal music
- 783 Music for single voices
- 784 Instruments & Instrumental ensembles & their music
- 785 Ensembles with only one instrument per part
- 786 Keyboard, mechanical, electrophonic, percussion instruments
- 787 Stringed instruments (Chordophones)
- 788 Wind instruments (Aerophones)